Buttonwood Inn on Mt Surprise Room 10 – North Conway, NH
Mount Passaconaway Room
Room Ten is our premier room. This is the Inns largest room featuring a gas fireplace, Double Jacuzzi Tub, love seat which converts to a twin bed, its own ramped entrance and exit to the parking lot, sits on the main floor of the Inn, has a large extra roomy bathroom for those with mobility equipment. Additional person in the room is $55.00 per night plus tax.
Mount Passaconaway is a 4,043 ft mountain in the White Mountain National Forrest near Waterville Valley New Hampshire. When you drive from Conway on the Kancamagus Highway along the Swift River you will reach an area now woods but once clear, known as the Albany or Passaconaway Intervale (low lying tract of land along a river). Passaconaway, which translates to "Child of the Bear" is named after Passaconaway, a 16th century Sachem or Native American Chief of the Pennacook people residing in what is now northern New England in the United States. Lauded as the most influential sachem in New England and probably in the East, Passaconaway was born sometime between 1555-1573 and ruled until 1668-69. He died at a seasoned age of 120 in the 1680s.
But the story of Chief Wonalancet and Father of Pennacook, is a sad one, as told in C.E. Beals Jr.'s book, "Passaconaway in the White Mountains,".
At the height of his power in the early 17th century, Beals writes that Passaconaway governed a confederacy of 3,000 people comprising 13 tribes, capable of overthrowing an army of over 500 men.
But 18 years after he submitted to the provincial government of the English, his once industrious and prosperous tribe was reduced to a small group of sickly poor persons, cheated out of their lands by the settlers. Passaconaway's last years weren't happy ones, as his lands were taken from him to the extent that he had to petition the government for a plot large enough to stake his home on. The petition to the aged Chief was granted.
Some say the great chief died as late as 1682, at the age of 120. According to the legend held by the Pennacooks, a sled pulled by 24 gigantic wolves sped him away in a flaming cloud. The Chief, once more in his element, screamed in joy as he sped across valleys, hills and frozen Lake Winnepesaukee, until the sled roared up the sides of Mount Washington, the earthly dwelling place of the Great Spirit.
Gaining the summit with unabated speed, Passaconaway rode up into the clouds and was lost to view. Sachem is believed to be buried in a cave on Mount Agamenticus.
Love Seat converts
to a Twin Bed
tub and shower
In-Shower Dispensers with
Citrus Scented Body Gel,
Shampoo, and Conditioner
Before your stay, please review our policies:
- Rates - The Buttonwood Inn on Mt Surprise is dedicated to making each guest stay special. If you have special requests or questions regarding this reservation, please contact the Inn. Rates are for single and double occupancy and include our “made from scratch” homemade breakfast and Donna-Marie’s baked treats in the late afternoon. Rates are subject to NH rooms and meals taxes.
- Check-In/Check Out - Anyone wishing to check-in before 4PM will be charged an extra days stay. Please keep in mind that a small Inn such as the Buttonwood usually has very minimal staff. Hence, time is needed to fully expedite cleaning. If arriving AFTER 9 PM, call to make arrangements for leaving a key for you 603-356-2625. Please keep in mind that with minimal staff of a small Inn it is difficult to be available until late hours when breakfast prep begins at 6AM. CHECK-OUT TIME: 11:00 AM.
- Cancellation - A deposit of 50% of the total cost is required upon making your Reservation. The Buttonwood Inn on Mt Surprise is a privately owned small property where every guest reservation is both important and special to us. If your travel plans change and you must cancel your reservation, please call us at least 21 days prior to your arrival date to cancel your reservation. If cancelled beyond 21 days prior to your stay you will receive a full refund less a $45.00 administrative fee. In the unlikely event that you must cancel with less than 21 days notice, shorten your stay or check out early, please understand that we must ask you to take responsibility for your entire reservation. In all instances you may however, apply the deposit to a future booking. Unlike some hotels, we do not “overbook” our rooms. We hold guest reservations for the dates our guest’s request. Thus, we need to refuse other potential guests. As a result, if a guest leaves earlier than their reservation calls for or they do not show up for their reservation, they will be charged for the entire reservation. Gift Certificates are non-refundable. Please keep in mind some on-line booking agencies require you to cancel through their site and you are subject to their payment and deposit policies. All Rates are for Double Occupancy Only. Additional guests are NOT accepted with the exception of Rooms 6,7,9, and 10 where Occupancy is 3 persons only. An additional fee of $55.00 for each extra person per night will be added (including children of all ages).
- Parking - Parking is available in our large parking lot. There is an unloading and loading zone in front of the porch upon arrival and departure.
- Minimum Night Stays - Two-night stays are required for all reservations.
- Meals - At our Bed and Breakfast, we serve a full gourmet breakfast, either savory one day or sweet the next from 8:00 to 9:00 am. We can provide a travel breakfast for guests who have to leave the inn before breakfast, as long as we are informed at least 24 hours in advance. Donna-Marie’s homemade baked treats are served around 4:00 pm each day.
- Children - We welcome children of all ages. There will be an additional charge of $55 per night, per room, per child.
- Pets - Even though we have had rescue dogs of our own, we do not accept pets at our inn. However, if you plan to travel with your pet, you can reserve an overnight stay at Albany Pet Care located in Albany, NH about 20 minutes from our inn. We have left our dog there on many occasions when we travel and he is well cared for and contentedly happy when we pick him up upon our return. Please go to the Albany Pet Care website for more information on overnight stays and day care.
- Smoking/Vaping - The Buttonwood offers a smoke-free environment in the interior of the inn. Please ask us where the designated area is outside of the inn. For safety reasons and out of courtesy to other guests, smoking is not allowed in the inn. If any of the contents of a room have been contaminated or damaged due to smoking, a $150 cleaning/repair fee will be charged.