Buttonwood Inn on Mt Surprise Room 7 – North Conway, NH
Arethusa Falls Room
This is a Deluxe Plus Room that sits at the top of the Inn! This is a large room that extends from the front of the Inn to the back with a generous sitting area and Queen bed. The vintage room décor includes a period mural by artist Carol Whetton Adams, dressers, a custom-built Queen bed, and an exposed brick wall. Large windows allow for views of the pool, hot tub, perennial gardens, and Merriman Forest. Each additional person in the room is $55.00 per night plus tax.
History of the Landmark
Arethusa Falls is one of the most well-known waterfalls in the White Mountains and over time it has generated a
reputation that in some ways exceeds the actual stature of the waterfall itself. The falls occur along Bemis
Brook where it slides and then drops over a broad reddish-orange granite cliff, veiling 176 feet in a broad wall
of water which zigzags down the cliff face and eventually glides over smooth slabs that base of the falls. When
viewed from below, the falls don't quite appear to the untrained eye to be as tall as reported. Our initial
estimates placed it at closer to 140 feet, however upon surveying the falls in October 2015 we found the
suggested height of 176 feet to be close enough to our figures to be believable - though it will likely require
another survey at some point just to be sure.
With the falls standing 176 feet tall, Arethusa Falls is often claimed to be the tallest waterfall in New Hampshire. This claim likely dates back well over 100 years since the initial measurement was taken in the late 1800s, during a time when natural features were a huge tourism draw and were endlessly romanticized by writers, poets, painters, and (later) early photographers. We now know Arethusa Falls to not even be in the top 10 tallest waterfall in New Hampshire, but it is possible that it may be the tallest single-drop waterfall (though not free-falling) in the state. Further surveying will need to be conducted in other locations to test the validity of this claim.
Arethusa Falls was discovered by Edward Tuckerman in 1875 and known as Tuckerman Falls, but the name never gained any traction. The name Arethusa Falls became the proper title for the cataract in 1875. It was named after the nymph Arethusa, daughter of Nereus thanks to the efforts of Moses Sweetser and J.H. Huntington.
Before your stay, please review our policies:
- Rates - The Buttonwood Inn on Mt. Surprise is dedicated to making each guest stay special. If you have special requests or questions regarding this reservation, please contact the Inn. Rates are for single and double occupancy and our delicious "homemade from scratch" breakfast as well as a selection of homemade and locally baked goods in the late afternoon. Rates are subject to NH rooms and meals taxes.
- Check-In/Check Out - Anyone wishing to check-in before 4PM will be charged an extra days stay. Please keep in mind that a small Inn such as the Buttonwood usually has very minimal staff. Hence, time is needed to fully expedite cleaning. If arriving AFTER 9 PM, call to make arrangements for leaving a key for you 603-356-2625. Please keep in mind that with minimal staff of a small Inn it is difficult to be available until late hours when breakfast prep begins at 6AM. CHECK-OUT TIME: 11:00 AM.
- Cancellation - A deposit of 50% of the total cost is required upon making your Reservation. The Buttonwood Inn on Mt Surprise is a privately owned small property where every guest reservation is both important and special to us. If your travel plans change and you must cancel your reservation, please call us at least 21 days prior to your arrival date to cancel your reservation. If cancelled beyond 21 days prior to your stay you will receive a full refund less a $45.00 administrative fee. In the unlikely event that you must cancel with less than 21 days notice, shorten your stay or check out early, please understand that we must ask you to take responsibility for your entire reservation. In all instances you may however, apply the deposit to a future booking. Unlike some hotels, we do not “overbook” our rooms. We hold guest reservations for the dates our guest’s request. Thus, we need to refuse other potential guests. As a result, if a guest leaves earlier than their reservation calls for or they do not show up for their reservation, they will be charged for the entire reservation. Gift Certificates are non-refundable. Please keep in mind some on-line booking agencies require you to cancel through their site and you are subject to their payment and deposit policies. All Rates are for Double Occupancy Only. Additional guests are NOT accepted with the exception of Rooms 6,7,9, and 10 where Occupancy is 3 persons only. An additional fee of $55.00 for each extra person per night will be added (including children of all ages).
- Parking - Parking is available in our large parking lot. There is an unloading and loading zone in front of the porch upon arrival and departure.
- Minimum Night Stays - Two-night stays are required for all reservations.
- Meals - At our Bed and Breakfast, we offer a complete gourmet breakfast experience, alternating between savory and sweet options, served from 8:00 to 9:00 am daily. For guests who need to depart before our regular breakfast hours, we are happy to prepare a travel breakfast, provided we receive a minimum of 24 hours' notice. Additionally, we treat our guests to homemade and locally baked goods around 4:00 pm each day.
- Children - We welcome children of all ages. There will be an additional charge of $55 per night, per room, per child.
- Pets - Even though we have had rescue dogs of our own, we do not accept pets at our inn. However, if you plan to travel with your pet, you can reserve an overnight stay at Albany Pet Care located in Albany, NH about 20 minutes from our inn. We have left our dog there on many occasions when we travel and he is well cared for and contentedly happy when we pick him up upon our return. Please go to the Albany Pet Care website for more information on overnight stays and day care.
- Smoking/Vaping - The Buttonwood offers a smoke-free environment in the interior of the inn. Please ask us where the designated area is outside of the inn. For safety reasons and out of courtesy to other guests, smoking is not allowed in the inn. If any of the contents of a room have been contaminated or damaged due to smoking, a $150 cleaning/repair fee will be charged.