Buttonwood Inn Room 2 – North Conway, NH
Mount Surprise Room
This is a Standard Room featuring a King size bed that can be converted into two twins for a one-time fee of $25.00. It features a hand-painted mural by artist Carol Whetton Adams depicting the Inn in 1820. The custom-designed armoire and stenciled antique wide plank floors add to the warm New England charm.
History of the Landmark
Mount Surprise, in the Kearsarge neighborhood of Bartlett, is a community gem. In 2014, the neighborhood rallied behind the Land Trust to purchase the development rights on the property (through a conservation easement), ensuring that the land remain protected in perpetuity. Then, in 2016, the four owners donated the remainder of the interest in the property (the “fee interest”) to the Land Trust. Since that time, it has been owned and managed solely by the Land Trust.
Between 1887 and 1895, Mount Surprise and 40 acres of surrounding land were purchased by John Worcester in five separate tracts. Ownership of the land remained within the Worcester / Briggs family until 2016, when four members of the Briggs family, the children and heirs of Reverend Horace W. Briggs and Margaret Worcester Briggs, finalized the donation to the land trust.
In her writings, Margaret Worcester Briggs noted that after John Worcester’s purchase of the Mount Surprise tracts, “it occurred to him that there might be an unusual view from there. He had the trees on the hill cut, just ready to fell, and scheduled a picnic up there, during which one tree fell after another, disclosing a spectacular view. And the guests were ‘surprised’. This was ‘Mount Surprise’.”
The family has always wanted Mount Surprise to be open to the public to enjoy. Historically, a network of trails and carriage roads once connected the area’s old hotels and inns to Mount Surprise, Bartlett Mountain and Mount Kearsarge. The “carriage road” at the end of Mount Surprise Road remains open to pedestrian travel and provides current access to Mount Surprise.
The property is adjacent to two other easements held by USVLT — the Burnell easement and the Osgood easement. All three properties allow public access.
Before your stay, please review our policies:
- Rates - The Buttonwood Inn is dedicated to making each guest stay special. If you have special requests or questions regarding this reservation, please contact the Inn. Rates are for single and double occupancy and include our “made from scratch” homemade breakfast and Donna-Marie’s baked treats in the late afternoon. Rates are subject to NH rooms and meals taxes.
- Check-In/Check Out - Anyone wishing to check-in before 4PM will be charged an extra days stay. Please keep in mind that a small Inn such as the Buttonwood usually has very minimal staff. Hence, time is needed to fully expedite cleaning. If arriving AFTER 9 PM, call to make arrangements for leaving a key for you 603-356-2625. Please keep in mind that with minimal staff of a small Inn it is difficult to be available until late hours when breakfast prep begins at 6AM. CHECK-OUT TIME: 11:00 AM.
- Cancellation - A deposit of 50% of the total cost is required upon making your Reservation. The Buttonwood Inn is a privately owned small property where every guest reservation is both important and special to us. If your travel plans change and you must cancel your reservation, please call us at least 21 days prior to your arrival date to cancel your reservation. If cancelled beyond 21 days prior to your stay you will receive a full refund less a $45.00 administrative fee. In the unlikely event that you must cancel with less than 21 days notice, shorten your stay or check out early, please understand that we must ask you to take responsibility for your entire reservation. In all instances you may however, apply the deposit to a future booking. Unlike some hotels, we do not “overbook” our rooms. We hold guest reservations for the dates our guest’s request. Thus, we need to refuse other potential guests. As a result, if a guest leaves earlier than their reservation calls for or they do not show up for their reservation, they will be charged for the entire reservation. Gift Certificates are non-refundable. Please keep in mind some on-line booking agencies require you to cancel through their site and you are subject to their payment and deposit policies. All Rates are for Double Occupancy Only. Additional guests are NOT accepted with the exception of Rooms 6,7,9, and 10 where Occupancy is 3 persons only. An additional fee of $55.00 for each extra person per night will be added (including children of all ages).
- Parking - Parking is available in our large parking lot. There is an unloading and loading zone in front of the porch upon arrival and departure.
- Minimum Night Stays - Two-night stays are required for all reservations.
- Meals - At our Bed and Breakfast, we serve a full gourmet breakfast, either savory one day or sweet the next from 8:00 to 9:00 am. We can provide a travel breakfast for guests who have to leave the inn before breakfast, as long as we are informed at least 24 hours in advance. Donna-Marie’s homemade baked treats are served around 4:00 pm each day.
- Children - We welcome children of all ages. There will be an additional charge of $55 per night, per room, per child.
- Pets - Even though we have had rescue dogs of our own, we do not accept pets at our inn. However, if you plan to travel with your pet, you can reserve an overnight stay at Albany Pet Care located in Albany, NH about 20 minutes from our inn. We have left our dog there on many occasions when we travel and he is well cared for and contentedly happy when we pick him up upon our return. Please go to the Albany Pet Care website for more information on overnight stays and day care.
- Smoking/Vaping - The Buttonwood offers a smoke-free environment in the interior of the inn. Please ask us where the designated area is outside of the inn. For safety reasons and out of courtesy to other guests, smoking is not allowed in the inn. If any of the contents of a room have been contaminated or damaged due to smoking, a $150 cleaning/repair fee will be charged.